Friday, October 05, 2007

Indian Sports

I was ecstatic when India won the Twenty20 world championship. Leaving office early on a hectic Monday and hitch hiking to reach home in time, seemed so worthwhile when Sreesanth took that catch.

I wanted to express the euphoria the very next day in my blog because I was scared of the India-Australia ODI series and worried that my emotions will sound irrelevant very soon.

I was sure it would happen and it happened.

Listening to the entire discussions of our esteemed commentator’s, experts and coffee room chit-chat, I have come to a definite inference. I know what is wrong with the India Cricket Team, for sure. The only problem is that a billion people watch them too closely, just too closely. It’s a sport to enjoy. Sadly people don’t realize that it all ends there. They blow hot and cold at the poor cricketers(not financially :) ).

The victory rally that happened in Mumbai, I believe was misplaced. It would have been more deserving, for the two army Major’s who died in Jammu Kashmir yesterday.

Cricket is awesome, unlike many other games, it is easy to understand; hence the mass appeal. But in India it is like that huge tree which takes the air, water and sunshine away from all other sports and not allowing them to flourish, even exist.

In recent past, the stars of Indian sports are dazzling. Be it Nehru Cup in Football,
Anand becoming the World Chess champion, Asia Cup in Hockey or World School Rugby Championship…it’s undoubtedly a party in Indian sports scenario, except we are adamant not to join it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.