Sunday, October 13, 2013

Furlough Humans?

Recently my church scheduled some classes to teach singing. I got really excited and start dreaming how, if these classes work, I will be able to sing in the shower without the water pipes bursting open. I was really bumped when these classes got postponed. To deal with the disappointment I promised myself that I will google and learn. After all, internet knows it all.

Then i realized that recently for one reason or other I am opting internet over asking a friend, waiting for an instructor, talking to a business representatives or even calling customer service. From my visa worries to bank interest to car troubles, for work, for recipes and every other information I need, I simply use my laptop. Internet along with the self-checkout in stores and public library, facebook, emails, TV, telecommuting with team at work… has reduced human interactions with “real” people and brought them to an all-time low.

It’s amazing how human interaction can easily be made optional

In India, when you need your car serviced, you call up a friend to accompany you to the service station and bring you back with him/her so you don’t have to wait for hours while your vehicle is being serviced. And of coarse, also, help you get your vehicle back,later. In case you don’t have a friend available to help you, you can still wait at the workshop. While you wait, dealership employees will regularly come by and offer you free beverages and snacks to ensure good customer experience.

Here, in US, the dealership,“to help you avoid human interaction” offers a courtesy vehicle that you can drive around while your vehicle is being serviced. In case you decide to wait for some reason and not opt for a free drive; you have a cable TV, brewed coffee and free vending machines stocked with snacks and beverages at your disposal. So you get the same “good customer experience” just human less. 

Climate is changing. I don’t evolve too quick,so I am still holding on to my “Fridays with humans”, for now.

No comments: