Sunday, April 21, 2019

Miss Intriguing Bones

My new name.

Intrigue is not a word that usually describes me. Except for the people who see me through the airport x-ray machines.

As someone with no criminal past, present or future, I may be the most stopped ,searched, swabbed and patted-down person in my category, at both domestic and international airports. I have so many stories to tell. I have missed so many connecting flights. Also the reason why i prefer not to travel through Heathrow airport.

Ok, some of these incidents were my fault. There should be packing 101 course teaching you not to pack a huge bag of pistachio in your cabin language, which i was told look likes ammunition in the x-ray machine. But then last evening was, when my body scan came up with the need to pat me down. I almost wished i had something in my pockets to explain the trigger. But there was nothing on me, except confused thoughts and the sinking feeling of "oh no! not again".

My personal best was at Melbourne airport when my hands were swabbed by security agents 20 feet apart as I entered the security check area. I am not, but I am sure even if I was a very talented criminal, I cannot make a bomb at the airport between two enthusiastic security agents just 20 feet apart.

I have discussed this topic extensively with my friends. We agreed that long flights across time zones can leave you groggy and confused, though its not a the ideal look of your average "terrorist" , it can explain why I may stand out. But, not all my journeys are across time zones. Travel for work and pleasure to near by cities result in the same fate of "feeling special".

I understand the need for airport security, even appreciate it. If my persona creates any doubts, I am willing to submit myself for extra checks, every single time. All I ask for, is a Q&A session after each swab and pat-down, on "why?" just so I know what to do in my life outside airports to become a "head turner".


No comments: