Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Its love…


The only thing in india that is more than its population is unexpected, unconditional, undefined love.

As a kid when I did not get into the same school as my elder sister, my working parents were mainly concerned with the difference in our school timings. My sister was responsible & old enough to carry the house keys and get in the house safely but they did not know what to do with me coming home 45 mins before her.

My dad’s colleague’s family offered that I could stay at their house for this duration. Dad was skeptical; it was an inconvenience to say the least. But he could not think of any other arrangement for such short, mid-day inconvenient time everyday.

Every single day from 2:30 pm to 3:15 pm I stayed at their house for two years. Every single day i was offered water and I fought the insistence to be fed. Every single day my uncle’ mother, wife, 3 daughters and one son, all significantly elder to me,  thought it was important to strike conversation with me, ask me how my day was, worry about me if I was late and make sure I leave the house with only my elder sister; All this with not a hint or glimmer of reluctance or disinterest, day after day. 

It was not baby sitting by any angle. It was just… just indianness.

Today i met the middle daughter of my uncle, one of my smiling,talking,loving, welcoming, expecting nothing in return... guardians. All memories came gushing back. We remembered old times, smiled, choked on emotions…

With some heart-felt goodbyes... she forced a 500 Rupee note in my hand. And when mom and I objected she said “money in india is not money, its love” yes everything here is a currency of love. :) 

2 comments:

Jack said...

Very beautiful :)

Priti said...

Thank you Jack :) :)